Strongest through mortise?

Hey guys,

I'm working on the base for a workbench. The base is all QSWO. I am using through mortises for the lower stretchers. My question is this: which is the stronger way to finish them, wedging the ends or pinning the tenons though the sides? The details:

legs are 3 1/8" x 2 1/4"

mortises are 3 1/2" long x 5/8" wide with a 5/8" shoulder on one side and 1 3/4" on the other (the pins would go into the shorter shoulder)

the top side stretchers will be dovetailed in, and I have a 3 1/2" solid maple slab for the top.

This workbench will be an indoor/in house bench being used for small hand work and luthiery. (My workshop is an uninsulated, spot heated unattached garage, so this will let me get more done during the winter.)

So which is stronger?

Thanks!

This workbench will be an indoor/in house bench being used for small hand work and luthiery. (My workshop is an uninsulated, spot heated unattached garage, so this will let me get more done during the winter.)

So which is stronger?

Given your intended use for this workbench, I think either wedged or drawboring will be more than strong enough. From your description, it doesn't sound like you're going to subject the base of your workbench to huge racking forces from massive amounts of planing.

One advantage to drawboring (you do want to drawbore rather than straight pinning the joint) is that the drawboring will clamp the legs and stretchers together, so you won't have to mess with long clamps when you are gluing up the base.

By the way:

I'm working on the base for a workbench. The base is all QSWO.

How much QSWO do you have that you can blow it on a base of a workbench? ;)

By the way:

How much QSWO do you have that you can blow it on a base of a workbench? ;)

Well, the legs are left over cutoffs from a friend's timber frame project. And the short stretchers are cutoffs from a dining table build ( check out the Spoken Wood Podcast for deets ).

I have a ready supply from a local source. (not to mention all of the White Oaks surrounding my house. :-) )

Well, the legs are left over cutoffs from a friend's timber frame project. And the short stretchers are cutoffs from a dining table build ( check out the Spoken Wood Podcast for deets ).

I have a ready supply from a local source. (not to mention all of the White Oaks surrounding my house. :-) )

If that isn't a drive-by gloat, I don't know what is. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

One advantage to drawboring (you do want to drawbore rather than straight pinning the joint) is that the drawboring will clamp the legs and stretchers together, so you won't have to mess with long clamps when you are gluing up the base.

Chris,

I see you went with the drawbores, glued. If you ever need to disassemble the bench, wedged tenons are easier to take apart. If you don't glue the joint, through-drawbored tenons can be taken apart as well.

Good choice on the joint (there was really no bad one). It's sure to make a solid bench!