Dado Blade Sizes and Table Saw Compatibility

MisterDrow

I have an old Craftsman 113.xxxx table saw (sadly not the belt-driven model). Thus far (aside from a mediocre fence that I can't wait to replace) it's been a great saw. I am wanting to buy a dado stack for it and already have the factory insert for one. The manual for it says that it is supposed to use a 7" dado stack... nearly all of them I see online and at the store are 8" so I assume this is a non-standard thing (or maybe it was standard at one time).

The question I have is, can I still safely use an 8" dado on it as long as I keep it low enough to clear the insert (or make my own) or should I seek out a 6-7" dado instead?

If I recall, it has something to do with the weight put on the motor arbor due to the saw being direct drive. I have a Delta direct drive saw and use the short dado stack. The only issue you may have is when you cut half lap joints. You just can't get the depth of cut on thicker stock. But there are workarounds for that.

Hope this helps.

-Ace- 

If I recall, it has something to do with the weight put on the motor arbor due to the saw being direct drive. I have a Delta direct drive saw and use the short dado stack. The only issue you may have is when you cut half lap joints. You just can't get the depth of cut on thicker stock. But there are workarounds for that.

that's what I was wondering. I figured it was more a limitation of the direct-drive motor than anything. 

What are the work-arounds you speak of with regard to half-laps?

Also, I just want to say that I think it's dumb that 90% of the 7" dadoes you can find online are wobble blades. :(

Looks like even with a 6" dado stack (which is more readily available) I can still cut up to 1.5" deep... not sure why I would need dados deeper than that and if I do, like @AceHoleInOne said, I can use an alternate method.

The Freud set on Amazon is only $65... maybe I'll bite on that one and try it out.

Nothing like posting a question here and then answering it myself 10 mins later... LOL 

Thanks to all who have looked! :P and thanks for the response, @AceHoleInOne!

Looks like even with a 6" dado stack (which is more readily available) I can still cut up to 1.5" deep

Umm....possibly this may not apply to your saw. Being direct drive, you lose depth of cut (at least on my Delta saw) due to the fact, the motor has to have room to fit under the cast-iron tabletop. Basically, the motor bottoms out directly under the tabletop.. You have to subtract that distance. 

My saw is in storage right now and I can't get a measurement. Perhaps look at your manual. It should tell how deep a cut with a dado stack.

-Ace-   

• Like 1

Just use a 10" blade and raise the blade all the way up. Note the distance from the top of arbor hole on the blade in relation to the top of the table. 

-Ace-

Very good point. I'll have to measure it when I am home and see. Thanks for that thought!

Hey man your welcome...not all of us have a shop full of mustard colored equipment :P. Glad to be of help. 

-Ace-

• Like 1

What is the last part of the model number? With Sears, the first three numbers usually correspond to who made the product for them. 113 is an Emerson.

On the Craftsman I had you couldn't use an 8" dado at 3/4" wide because it would hit the motor casting, IIRC. I went with a 6" Oshlun and have been using it since, even when I upgraded the saw.

• Like 1