Lighting - Woodtalkshow Followup

Chris H

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but this is really a followup to Marc's question about lighting from the podcast a few weeks ago.  Anyway, I sent in a recommendation for can light fixtures with specialized LED bulbs.  I have no idea what good lighting looks like for video shooting, so here are a couple of pictures.  I have a short video too, but not sure how to upload it.  IMG_1501.JPG

Hope this helps!IMG_1502.JPG

Chris, I am certainly no expert with lighting and I also have to say that I find that I now have to check the "Age box - 65-70" these days, so that means I need more lightning than in years past.

BUT I think you have way too little lighting. LEDs are great. I just built a new house and we used LED cans, but if I were building a new shop, I'd put in more lighting than every 8 feet. You are going to end up with shadows unless you plan on a lot of task lighting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I appreciate the feedback.  These aren't typical big box LED lights though.  They have similar light output to most 4ft fixtures when you compensate for the fixture inefficiency.  When you get into the science of lighting, you will find most fixtures lose more than half the bulb's lumen output because it is bounced into the fixture.  Recessed lighting allows you to direct all of the output into the work space.  

I agree though that shadows may be a problem simply because of spacing.  That is why the ceiling is still not closed in.  Once I have the floor poured I will start bringing tools in and see if I have issues.  I am hoping the reflective walls and ceiling will help to bounce light around though.  There are no shadow areas that I have found thus far while doing the electrical and insulation work, but you never really know until you are over a work piece.