My first (finished) cutting board

aggie4you

Here's the story. A while back I was looking for an inexpensive end-grain cutting board (yeah, right). After getting discouraged with the selection I found on the internet I decided to look up directions on making one myself. In my research, I came across this site and new that I had found my new woodworking home (not that I had an old woodworking home, but I digress). I watched the videos and read through the process. I decided I could do that myself. Then I thought "self, you never do anything the easy way, so why should you start now?" I then did some more research and came across a design I liked a little more than Marc's. A little thought was all it took to decipher how the creator of that design did it. I then modified it to make it even more intricate (did I say that I never do anything the easy way?). I settled on the design and ordered the wood. I had to borrow my father in law's shed to do most of the work and, in the end, that board didn't get finished because I messed up one of the strips and when I flipped it over it didn't line up right. It's glued together, and I'll route the edges and add the finish some day, but that's a different story. For my next attempt I decided to go back to Marc's design, but again, I can't really do anything the easy way, so I made a minor modification to it too. I finished it using General finishes salad bowl finish mixed 50/50 with mineral spirits. My wife and roommate thought I had lost my mind because I kept going over and adding another coat of finish to it. Then, when it was finally completed, they decided that maybe I hadn't lost my mind because it looked really nice. I also added some really small little clear plastic feet to the bottom to raise it up off the counter just a touch. It turned out really well (I think) and my dad was very pleased to receive it as a Christmas present (along with some flavored oils).

Final dimensions: 10.5 x 10.5 x 2

I rounded all of the edges and corners with a ROS because I found it easier to deal with than the router.

Here's the pictures I took of it on his counter:

post-2022-0-97260000-1294266335_thumb.jp

post-2022-0-51706900-1294266306_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...