Round Dog Holes

Roger T

Morning all,

Starting to button up my bench build, and am wanting to use round dogs for my wagon vise assembly. Do these need to be angled a couple of degrees towards the traveler of the vise or will they work ok being just verticle/plumb? My dog hole strip is 8/4 hard maple, and the apron will be about 2 1/8" thick also out of hard maple. End caps will be about 1 3/4" thick.

I am also wondering about the attachment of the front apron to the right hand end cap where the wagon vise is. Aprons and end caps will be 5" tall.

How should the connection of the end cap and the aprons be made? Dovetails? End cap over the end of the front apron then bolted or lag screwed?

Looking for some advise.

Thanks much for your help.

Roger

Rogers, drill your dog holes with no angle. If you use store bought dogs the clamping face comes with a slight angle. If you make your own, you can add the slight angle yourself. Keep them straight and the holes will work with all hold fasts as well as other veritas type jigs (surface vise, wonder dogs, etc)

I personally did a half blind dovetail for my front laminate and end cap. That is mostly what you will see in other benches as well. Really any strong corner joint will work, but dovetails are probably the most common.