Going down the rabbit hole... (collecting planes)

OldSouthWoodCraft

I know, I know. This is a rabbit hole for which there is no end, except for an empty wallet.

Unfortunately in my free time I've been spending what little money I have in antique shops and junk stores. Found two boxes full of planes yesterday at an antique store. Picked up a Millers Falls No. 7 (I think) and a what I thought was a corrugated sole Millers Falls No. 5. However the iron on the corrugated plane is a Sargent Hercules and the plane body itself has no markers marks that I can discern.

So I'm reaching out to the experienced "planesman" to see if there are any suggestions on figuring out what plane body I have.

9cf743007002e76b85f7b0bd43d79671.jpg

a04c5a10df4ee33a5a294a74d7359e0b.jpg

0e7fc39bce25dc7656bc9ba05656f3cc.jpg

46d57b8984083833e7a9e4720730fc0c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Can you get a picture with the frog removed? The connection to the Frog was the way I identified an old Union #5 I had. This doesn't look like that Union, but it might tell us something.

I think someone took a 409 frog and put it on a 414C plane body. The pictures I found of the 409 is much too small compared to mine. However the 414 looks about right.

2902cded03ea0ddd955ab5fcb1ea0e3f.jpg

4d6c03a1947b89f65d91abf639dd512d.jpg

Thanks for all of your help man. You always seem to have just the right answers to my questions.

I guess as long the Franken plane cuts well I honestly don't care if it has four or five different plane makers parts in it.

Looking at the cutting edge I'm not sure if this iron was ever used. It looks like it still has the factory tooling marks on it.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That should be a later model Sargent (414 = Stanley Bailey #5). Since the 4 or 5 have 2" blades, the frog shouldn't be an issue unless there are machined mating problems. So, as someone above stated, this old goldie should work just fine. I've rehabbed Sargents and Millers Falls, both of which work as well, if not better, than a typical later model Stanley.