It ain't 'fine', but I say it counts!

wtnhighlander

Couple of thoughts - EB-TY make hidden fasteners that use a biscuit joint slot to secure the board so presumably will allow for shrinkage without causing checking; http://www.ebty.com/

Secondly I can really recommend OSMO deck oil (or their oil based stain) - it goes on a bit like teak oil but is coloured, as it soaks in it wont go flaky or peel. I did my deck with a colour I mixed myself 1:6 of 021 Osmo BOG OAK and 006 Osmo BANGKIRAI. It had two coats of colour and then a single coat of their anti-slip deck oil and I am really impressed with the results.

We went from this (sopping wet in the photo but it's standard pressure treated softwood decking):

20170215_144543.thumb.jpg.68db93c339be2b84e35863ac5889c900.jpg

To this (handrails, posts etc are still waiting on their second coat of colour):

20170424_071437.thumb.jpg.219752fce3cd48bfb61e81461b5fa307.jpg

The photo doesn't really show it (the dew on the deck doesn't help!) but the grain is still very visible and the water repellency  is excellent - the anti-slip really works in terms of grip too without feeling like you've covered the deck in sandpaper.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

I like that color, it looks great!

Cheers - we went through nearly their whole palette with 5ml sample sachets trying to find the right colour (literally have about 20 or so 12" offcuts of deck board oiled up in various shades) - liked the bangkirai but wanted to tone down the orange in it so added a bit of bog oak and that did the trick. I ended up buying a 750ml tin of bangkirai and just tipping in a 125ml sample tin of the bog oak.

BTW the colour palette on OSMO's own website is useless as they've applied the oil to the wood tone it's trying to replicate e.g. 006 bangkirai oil on a piece of bangkirai, mahogany on mahogany etc. - the palette over on wood finishes direct is better as they've applied the oil to standard pressure treated softwood deck boards: http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/osmo-decking-oil

• Like 1