Thinning Spirit Varnish

John Page

Hello all! It's been some time since I've been able to get into the shop, but I'm at the instrument game again. This time, it's a violin (which, after the guitar and not learning how to play it, it's time for round 2). I've been working away at it slowly for the last 5 or 6 months now, and I'm finally onto the finishing. I applied a few coats of spirit varnish to it, and had to sand off the back because it did not go well. I want to take the HPLV approach to it to try and get a thin, even coat without the problems I was having, but I have no idea how to thin it. The other problem is, I have no idea what's in it. I ordered it from a luthier supplier but can't find any info there either. All I have been able to gather is that its solvent is alcohol based rather than oil (i.e. oil varnish). I briefly tried cutting it with denatured alcohol just to see what would happen, but that was no good. It left a lot of streaks where nothing received any of the varnish, but where it did take the coat it was fine. Looking around, the only thing I have been able to find is that oil varnishes can be diluted with mineral spirits, but does the same hold true for the spirit varnish? Never having used the stuff before, I do not want to kill the HPLV sprayer with it...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John