Sharpening Chisels?

TMFoughty

Google "Scary Sharp Method." It's an easy and cheap way to sharpen chisels and plane irons using wet/dry sandpaper. There are videos on the web of people demonstrating this method.

I got all the different grits of sandpaper and a honing guide for less than $30. Sharpened my first chisel ever last week and I was paring end grain hardwood in a matter of minutes.

Ditto the scary sharp thing. I bought a honing guide at a local tool store for $5. Sandpaper was also cheap. For a flat surface I just bought a marble floor tile at home depot. The method works well although I didn't stick my sandpaper to the tile with anything.

If you don't like the disposable sandpaper idea, the norton waterstone kit is good, and comes with a very simple DVD by Joel Moskowitz (sp?) where he does a good job of walking you through the sharpening process. That is how I started out sharpening, and it worked very well for me.

Does anyone out there have a good site to go to or have advise on how to properly sharpen chisels? I don't think mine can cut butter right now.

Here are a few podcasts I did that cover how to sharpen...well...just about any hand tool in your shop. They're more about technique than materials. You can use the techniques with oil stones, water stones, diamond stones, sandpaper, whatever. The main point is to pick one and stick with it and learn to do it well. Woodworking is no fun, and can be downright dangerous, without sharp tools.

Sharpening Part 1

Sharpening Part 2

Sharpening Part 3

Sharpening Part 4

If your just getting started, I would recommend you get a bench grinder for rough work. you need the following:

1. The actual grinder (mine is a 6" no name that i got at Menards for $25)

2. good wheels (rather than me yelling you what wheels i run, I highly recommend you learn about grinding wheel nomenclature)

3. a good silicon carbide dressing stick <$5

if you going to start out honing with Scary sharp, get your self a good jig. I'd recommend the Veritas Mark 2.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?c=&p=51868&cat=1,43072,43078