Visibility of Professional Woodworking

DeanJackson

So, I live in Pittsburgh. And when I explain to people that I make custom furniture (mostly for myself), and have a mentor who builds furniture fulltime... they're kind of astonished that that's still around. It had never occurred to them, ever, that custom furniture would be an available product, and while it's usually over-their-price-range expensive, it at least puts the thought into their head for later, and/or might sell some smaller pieces now and again.

Boosting the visibility of handmade, custom wood products - outside of cabinetry - seems to be in everyone's best interest, honestly. But what are some of the better ways to market, advertise, and promote custom woodworking? Word of mouth is certainly the most common, I'm just wondering if any of the pros out here have had much luck expanding their business, and would share any advice

So, I live in Pittsburgh. And when I explain to people that I make custom furniture (mostly for myself), and have a mentor who builds furniture fulltime... they're kind of astonished that that's still around. It had never occurred to them, ever, that custom furniture would be an available product, and while it's usually over-their-price-range expensive, it at least puts the thought into their head for later, and/or might sell some smaller pieces now and again.

Boosting the visibility of handmade, custom wood products - outside of cabinetry - seems to be in everyone's best interest, honestly. But what are some of the better ways to market, advertise, and promote custom woodworking? Word of mouth is certainly the most common, I'm just wondering if any of the pros out here have had much luck expanding their business, and would share any advice

Hi Dean

Furniture shows, galleries and some craft shows are a good way to start getting your work seen by more people. The web works as well, but until you get a reputation and a client base going people will be hesitant to purchase from just seeing a few photos and a bio on a web site. To gain some web reputation try listing a few items on Etsy, these only need to be small items like boxes etc. Get a portfolio going and submit your work to local galleries and shows. Have a nice post card printed showing a piece you are most proud of and send them out to past clients, designers, galleries etc. It's very important to get your work out there for people to see and inspect in person. If you have a venue put on your own show and put your work on display. It could be as simple as having people come to your shop, just keep it professional. Find other woodworkers in your area that are in the same situation put on a group display. It takes a lot of foot work and grassroots marketing. Leave business cards or post cards at salons, spas, interior design firms, there are dozens of places to go. Start running a well designed ad in a community/local paper. Remember, your not just selling your furniture your selling yourself as a craftsman, always be professional.

Hi Dean

Furniture shows, galleries and some craft shows are a good way to start getting your work seen by more people. The web works as well, but until you get a reputation and a client base going people will be hesitant to purchase from just seeing a few photos and a bio on a web site. To gain some web reputation try listing a few items on Etsy, these only need to be small items like boxes etc. Get a portfolio going and submit your work to local galleries and shows. Have a nice post card printed showing a piece you are most proud of and send them out to past clients, designers, galleries etc. It's very important to get your work out there for people to see and inspect in person. If you have a venue put on your own show and put your work on display. It could be as simple as having people come to your shop, just keep it professional. Find other woodworkers in your area that are in the same situation put on a group display. It takes a lot of foot work and grassroots marketing. Leave business cards or post cards at salons, spas, interior design firms, there are dozens of places to go. Start running a well designed ad in a community/local paper. Remember, your not just selling your furniture your selling yourself as a craftsman, always be professional.

That all makes good sense, the one thing that frightens me is the pricing on Etsy; some folks seem to sell small wooden items for less than the materials would cost me!

That all makes good sense, the one thing that frightens me is the pricing on Etsy; some folks seem to sell small wooden items for less than the materials would cost me!

Yes, that is something you'll see there. You want to use Etsy as a tool. Make small affordable items from scrap wood, candle holders, boxes frames, cutting boards, frames. Once you start selling and getting positive feedback you can list higher dollar items. Set up an Etsy store. The purpose would be getting the positive feedback. People will know your work is of the quality you say and that you ship or complete your work in a timely manner. When you gain the trust and positive feedback people will be more comfortable buying from you on line. It's also a great way to showcase your work to thousands since Etsy fee's are very low. Another thing you can do is submit a piece to Design Milk. I submitted a table to them awhile back and I got a good number of emails and four sales: http://design-milk.com/autumn-hall-table/ Design Milk listed my table on their site for free, I just submitted it, they liked it and posted it. Funny thing is, if you google hall table designs my table pops up on the first page. This also got a number of email inquires. Keep getting your name and work out there, start local and go from there.

I agree that professional furniture making does need some more mainstream coverage, I think when starting out, that needs to be the furthest thing from your mind. Generating awareness is one thing. Generating awareness among your ideal client is an entirely different ballgame.

Galleries, shows, etc do bring exposure as long as you do your homework ahead of time to make sure it's the right place for you to be. Business cards, post cards, and other print media needs to be done so strikingly unique to stick in people's minds, that I would almost avoid doing those until you have a better idea of your image and message. The last thing you want is to be another postcard in the trash.

Really the furniture maker looking to go pro and gain exposure needs to start, not with what media outlet is best, but with asking themselves, "DO I know who my perfect customer is?" Also, get online. Get a GOOD site. Don't get a freebie blogspot or anything like that. You need to invest in serious web presence. I mean to host a site and have it running all year is like 80 dollars a year average. Too cheap to ignore. Make your site exactly the experience your perfect customer needs to have on there.

Why am I saying this? Because increased exposure happens in small groups and niches of people rather than broadcasting to the general public.

Also, get online. Get a GOOD site. Don't get a freebie blogspot or anything like that. You need to invest in serious web presence. I mean to host a site and have it running all year is like 80 dollars a year average. Too cheap to ignore. Make your site exactly the experience your perfect customer needs to have on there.

I agree about having a good web site vs a blog. I had three blogs going but the main visitors and inquiries were from other wood workers. Potential clients would visit but I think they would have preferred a .com. The reason I didn't set up a .com is because I'm not a web guy and I didn't want to put together a template type site, I wanted to go with something that is an extension of myself and my work. This summer I broke down and hired a web designer and I currently have two sites in the works, one for me and one for the studio and future gallery. Along with the web designer I also started working with a photographer to photograph new pieces that will go on the web sites. What I don't like about web sites is the lack of face to face interaction which is how I have always done business. However, I realize that having a .com is a common place now and I should jump on board.

The fact that when I'm at a show and people ask if they can see more work on my web site is telling me it's time to give them a place to go and visit while there in the comfort of their home. However from what I have heard from other furniture makers and exhibitors less than 10 % of their sales are via their web sites. The main portion of their sales come from shows and word of mouth. That being the case I'm having my sites set up as portfolio and bio sites with some extras.

Above I mentioned photographer. Remember, great photos are very important. Do your best to take great photos or have photos taken.

Highest quality photos are a real key for sure, Dale. Great point.

As far as the web goes, face to face relationships trump online sales or at the very least help build them. Unless your site is set up to sell, though almost all sales will be through other channels. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of selling big work online, but major companies have done it for years now. Reputation is key there. The present is about developing your biz with the amazing tools available online. The future is about getting on board with the present. If it serves your ideal client.

Highest quality photos are a real key for sure, Dale. Great point.

As far as the web goes, face to face relationships trump online sales or at the very least help build them. Unless your site is set up to sell, though almost all sales will be through other channels. Not everyone is comfortable with the idea of selling big work online, but major companies have done it for years now. Reputation is key there. The present is about developing your biz with the amazing tools available online. The future is about getting on board with the present. If it serves your ideal client.

I'll have to type up and post the tutorial I have on making a photo/light-box. You order a few pizzas, eat them, spray paint them white. You then make a miniature spray-booth out of them, with heavy lighting at the top and sides. It really helps small pieces to look their best for the camera.

I recently did an interview with Mike Salguero, the CEO of CustomMade.com and shared some of the things I do from a marketing and visibility standpoint. I am only semi-pro, but have taken a lot of what I do for marketing in the software world to my woodworking business with some modest success. To sum it up, good marketing doesn't have to be expensive, but it does require dedication and time. It's a lot like sharpening, you know you have to do it and it takes a lot of time but in the end you're really glad you did it.

The interview is actually posted on a section of the Rockler site: Rockler Mini

I recently did an interview with Mike Salguero, the CEO of CustomMade.com and shared some of the things I do from a marketing and visibility standpoint. I am only semi-pro, but have taken a lot of what I do for marketing in the software world to my woodworking business with some modest success. To sum it up, good marketing doesn't have to be expensive, but it does require dedication and time. It's a lot like sharpening, you know you have to do it and it takes a lot of time but in the end you're really glad you did it.

The interview is actually posted on a section of the Rockler site: Rockler Mini

My difficulty is that in most areas, my skills aren't pro; there are a few things I can do *very* well, and other things where it's going to take a few more years until I'm happy with the work.

In the meanwhile, I keep having a few thoughts. One of them is that I live in Pittsburgh, and we're lucky enough to be in one of the largest hardwood forest areas anywhere... but local furnituremakers don't push that as a brand. I'm interested in seeing - through web and other channels - if it's possible to push a regional recognition of the existence and worth of the local craftspeople.

(That said, I'm pretty much married to a wonderful lady who does marketing full time, and it's *always* interesting to bounce ideas off of her.)

I've found that having a story about your materials or designs can be a fantastic marketing mechanism. I would definitely encourage you to explore the possibility of marketing locally harvested hardwoods (if I'm not mistaken you guys grow some pretty good cherry in your parts). This could attract the sustainability crowd, the "buy locally" demographic, and if you use regionally inspired designs, yet another group. The more buying segments you can potentially appeal to, the better. As long as you aim for a product that falls within your capabilities or tool set, your experience is almost an afterthought here.

I've found that having a story about your materials or designs can be a fantastic marketing mechanism. I would definitely encourage you to explore the possibility of marketing locally harvested hardwoods (if I'm not mistaken you guys grow some pretty good cherry in your parts). This could attract the sustainability crowd, the "buy locally" demographic, and if you use regionally inspired designs, yet another group. The more buying segments you can potentially appeal to, the better. As long as you aim for a product that falls within your capabilities or tool set, your experience is almost an afterthought here.

One guy here in town had a genius idea; he asked the city to call him to remove larger downed trees, and had his own portable mill. Show up, cut the fallen tree into lumber, toss it in the truck, and drive off.

It gave him low, low cost on materials (once the mill was paid for), and is the *ultimate* upsell in "reused/recycled" wood.

• 2 weeks later...

What's more important for the beginning professional, the marketing or the product?

My answer here is going to surprise some people, but marketing in its truest sense actually leads to great product. Half of marketing is actually understanding and knowing your market. If you talk to designers, go to shows, and interact with prospective buyers, you will understand what makes them tick. When you know what buyers want, you can then design and build products and services that meets their needs. The outbound marketing piece (which most people think is all marketing involves) then becomes easy because you have a great product and market awareness. Most woodworkers, in my experience, completely ignore their market believing they know better than their customers what they should want. But in practice, it doesn't work that way. I'm not suggesting you ignore your styles, skills, techniques, and tastes, but ensure they meet a market demand. Some are lucky enough to become more artists than woodworkers, but for the vast majority of us we need to sell a piece based on its merits, not on artistic reputation.

Am I missing something? Ecsty charges $ 0.20 per post and 3.5% for the transaction. That looks reasonable to me.

If setting up a shop on Ecsty, is it fair and cool to also have a shop in Ebay and Craiglist?

Just asking.

Hi Dean