What type of sander?

Xaemian

Hey everyone! I joined the guild 2 day's ago.

I'm also a beginning woodworker, only just started gathering my tools.

I know I can get by with just sandpaper and a sanding block to finish, but my question is this:

Which hand held power sander would be the most intelligent purchase for me?

I'd like to stay under $100 for these items.

Thanks! I look forward to participating in the next guild build!

I LOVE my Makita Random orbital sander. About $50 then, it has been replaced with a newer model: http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO5030-5-Inch-Randon-Sander/dp/B001KYJ2Z4/ref=dp_ob_title_hi. Also have a quarter sheet pad sander for corners. You need a good sanding block for finessing certain pieces, though. Buy all the grits through 320 and you'll see a big difference.

Jack

I LOVE my Makita Random orbital sander. About $50 then, it has been replaced with a newer model: http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BO5030-5-Inch-Randon-Sander/dp/B001KYJ2Z4/ref=dp_ob_title_hi. Also have a quarter sheet pad sander for corners. You need a good sanding block for finessing certain pieces, though. Buy all the grits through 320 and you'll see a big difference.

Jack

Thanks for the reply! Looks like I am in the market for a simple random orbit sander then..

I ordered this Jointer/Planer combo last night so I'm excited for it's arrival.

Jet JJP-8BT

I'll head down to the local store today and check out the random orbits that have there.

Thank again Capn! =o)

(EDIT)

Ok, so this is the one I decided on.. Some might get on my case for buying a black & decker tool but this loked like it covered the bases I needed covering..

Let me know what you think...

Black & Decker MS2000

That sander should do fine. Make sure you try Norton 3x paper, if you can. It's a world of difference! My local Ace and even HD carry up to 320 grit. By the way, that is a beautiful planer/jointer combo! Keep us posted on how you like it. There have been a few posts around here regarding it.

Jack

Hey everyone! I joined the guild 2 day's ago.

I'm also a beginning woodworker, only just started gathering my tools.

I know I can get by with just sandpaper and a sanding block to finish, but my question is this:

Which hand held power sander would be the most intelligent purchase for me?

I'd like to stay under $100 for these items.

Thanks! I look forward to participating in the next guild build!

A couple of years ago FWW or PW did a review of random orbital sanders.The recommended model that had the least obvious scratch pattern was the Bosch 1295 EVS 5" ROS. I have one and can highly recommend it or its descendants. Klingspor has the exact same model with their brand a little cheaper, which I also have, and it does the same excellent job.