Planes I Bought

Keggers

Hello fellow woodworkers. I thought I'd give you an update on what 3 planes I chose to buy since my December 12th post titled "What Planes To Buy."

First, I'd like to thank everyone who posted a reply. I sure appreciate it. A special thank you goes out to Marc for his input and a very special thank you goes out to Paul Marcell for his outstanding efforts to help me make a decision.

Pictured are the Veritas MarkII Honing Guide, the Veritas Side Rabbet Plane, the Veritas LA Jack Plane with an A2 blade, and the Veritas A2 Scew Block Plane. Now all I have to do is learn to use them properly.

post-18-0-62663300-1296515675_thumb.jpg

I'm completely jealous!!!! The low angle jack is on my wish list.

I too am envious. If you get a chance I'd love to read a review of the jack plane. Especially if you could comment on how it compares to the L-N. I've always heard that Veritas is more innovative than other companies producing planes, but I've never completely understood that statement.

• 2 weeks later...

I too am envious. If you get a chance I'd love to read a review of the jack plane. Especially if you could comment on how it compares to the L-N. I've always heard that Veritas is more innovative than other companies producing planes, but I've never completely understood that statement.

I spoke to a guy at Lee Valley who filled me in on this a bit. He told me that LN makes absolutely amazing products. He also said that Veritas is great quality (of course) but he advised that the reason Veritas is more innovative is because they look at old plane's and take one good thing from one, a great design from another and make one product out of it. He then said, LN just copies a very high quality plane from the past but doesn't change anything.

I can't speak to the accuracy of this statement, but it makes sense. Both are extremely high quality, 1 is from some of the best tried-tested-true and another is a compilation of good bits from old tried-tested-true.

I'm been extremely happy with all my Veritas hand tools. They all perform very well. Someday, I'd like to test drive an LN for comparison, but budget wise and bang for the buck, Veritas have been a very good purchase.

Hey Vic,

I haven't used mine yet, but they do feel great in my hands. I've been so busy building cabinet doors and working my lumber business that I haven't found the time to play with them. Maybe next week I can see what I can do with them.