japanese plow plane

jpdorn

any suggestions on where to find a 6mm japanese plow plane? need to get my tongue and groove on but i can't seem to find any at hida or japanwoodworker.

not confident enough with my knowledge of the tools or my restoration skills to buy used..

HIda used to carry these. You might try calling them and seeing about the possibility of a special order.

As far as buying used goes, these are pretty easy to tune up. It's really just a matter of sharpening the main blade, the two nickers, and making sure that the screws for the fence work.

hmm. i sent them an email and they said..

'For tongue and groove style joints, the Japanese use two planes: the first would be listed on our website as a Groove Plane for shaving the bottom of a groove (Koetsu Brand Groove Plane Kushigata) and the second would be for clearing up the side of a groove or a sliding dovetail and is referred to as a Narrow Side Plane on our website like the Koetsu Brand Narrow Side Cutting Plane.'

i'd believe them if i hadn't read this blog post by my good friend wilbur..

http://giantcypress.net/post/809558110/shake-your-tongue-and-groove-thing