Shop Tour -- 13'x29' Home Shop

Thiel

All,

I've benefitted so much from watching others' shop tours that I felt it was time to finally share one of my own.  My shop was clean for once, and I was just about to rearrange, so I did a before and after.

From what I can tell, I may have pushed the limits of having the most machinery in the smallest space... (which I think is a factor of the shape of the room AND the fact that I don't really store any lumber).

Anyway. Here you go... this is the first Youtube video I've ever posted!

Thanks for watching... and I'm happy to answer any questions if I can!

--Thiel

• Like 1

On 3/23/2018 at 6:59 PM, pkinneb said:

Great shop and nice use of space Theil! First shop I recall seeing with a fire place although I think Kev has a wood burning stove in his IIRC.

Thanks.

I have only used the fireplace a couple times.... but I gotta tell you it is a really great feeling to be down in the shop with the snow coming down and you're working on a project with a cracking fire!

Nice changes to the shop!  I agree with many of the changes you made, especially the locations for the bandsaw and drillpress.  The new location for the router table makes sense to me now, especially since it is so mobile.  The rejiggering of the hand tool area should work out well for you - I totally agree that it is a space where you want short/quick access to the most common tools, so having the area 'small' and cozy should work out well.

1 hour ago, Jfitz said:

Nice changes to the shop!  I agree with many of the changes you made, especially the locations for the bandsaw and drillpress.  The new location for the router table makes sense to me now, especially since it is so mobile.  The rejiggering of the hand tool area should work out well for you - I totally agree that it is a space where you want short/quick access to the most common tools, so having the area 'small' and cozy should work out well.

Thanks... it's been working out pretty well.  I'm surprised how EMPTY the power tool side of the shop feels actually.

Another hidden benefit... I can roll router table over and use it to stack wood coming in and out of the planer.