restrict size of attached images?

Beechwood Chip

Is there a way to limit the size of images attached to posts? It seems that more often than not, I click on a thumbnail and the image takes a long time to load. When it finally loads I'm looking at a 2" x 2" piece of a highboy, and I have to scroll sideways and down just to find the "close" button. It's like looking at furniture through a pinhole.

I'm guessing that people don't realize how big their image is when they attach it, so setting a limit would be a good reminder.

Or, do I just have my browser set up wrong?

This drives me nuts too. This is one of the software's weaknesses and hopefully something they'll fix in future upadates. I can limit the total upload size for photos, but that will create more headaches for us. When people can't upload a picture or they try to upload multiple pictures and hit the limit, they will freak out, blame the software, and then send me an annoyed email. :) You'd be surprised to know how many people don't know how large their photos are or how to resize them. So until they develop some sort of auto-resizing feature, we are pretty much stuck with this setup.

This comes up frequently on many forums. Most have software to automagically resize. There is a "how-to" thread on this site explaining what to do, but not everyone will go that route. I don't know IP Board at all, but a quick search of their forum I came up with this: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/298034-image-handling-problems-solution/page__view__findpost__p__2046500 - seems someone has provided a partial solution. It doesn't 'fix' uploaded image weight (size in MB) against resized weight, but it does resize the uploaded image to specified maximum dimensions. Or at least claims to do that.

Can't tell you how frustrating this is on a netbook! I'd go for 1024 pixels each way by the way...

HTH

John

I did see that hack but decided not to use it. One thing I learned from running a few forums: the more hacks you employ, the more crap you need to fix. So I promised myself that I wouldn't do that with this forum for the sake of keeping the workload to a minimum. I'm holding out hope that IPBoard hears the many cries in the forums and includes this as a feature in a future upgrade.