Japanese Style Bench Build

The white handle saw used in the video, I was looking at some of these yesterday at Woodcraft. They look darn handy. I would suspect, like any other tool, there is crap and there is cream. Any recommendations of a good one of these that won’t break the bank, yet make you glad you bought it? And I bet there ate teeth configurations to consider? 

4 minutes ago, K Cooper said:

The white handle saw used in the video, I was looking at some of these yesterday at Woodcraft. They look darn handy. I would suspect, like any other tool, there is crap and there is cream. Any recommendations of a good one of these that won’t break the bank, yet make you glad you bought it? And I bet there ate teeth configurations to consider? 

I have found the gyokucho brand even though relatively inexpensive to be really well made, sharp and cut great.  As far as teeth, I haven't found a good resource which explains the best use for each tooth configuration.  The different websites marketing teams think they'll sell more if they throw "dovetailing saw" on everything.  

• Like 1

Thanks bud for both answers. I was watching a video on Friday where a fellow used one of these. Not that I want to get into just hand tools but I can see where this could be used in lieu of my bandsaw when it was not practical. A little more precise, if you will. 

1 minute ago, K Cooper said:

Thanks bud for both answers. I was watching a video on Friday where a fellow used one of these. Not that I want to get into just hand tools but I can see where this could be used in lieu of my bandsaw when it was not practical. A little more precise, if you will. 

Yeah, they cut on the pull strock so I find them easy to get started and control