Need a couple extra inches on your Spindle Sander?

krtwood

Here's a little trick for extending the capacity of your 4.5" sleeve spindle sander.  You'll need an extra rubber spindle of the same size, which you have because when you threw out your old dead spindle sander you kept the spindles because they're handy to have around.  Order some 9" sleeves and put the long sleeve on the first spindle and tighten it down with a ratchet and extension.  Then just drop the second spindle on top.  I made a small counterbore in it to fit over the nut but it's not really necessary.  When you're done I found a tack puller was just the ticket to stick into the hole and get a bite to pull the spindle out.

IMG_20190215_211130236.thumb.jpg.11cd7a91ef4b58d1b4cfaeecf2154857.jpgIMG_20190215_211221296.thumb.jpg.7c1cce5e5b11e5a90aff7a3694a2a70a.jpg

Obviously you haven't increased the size of the bearings or the shaft, and you haven't even got a shaft in half of it, so don't go crazy.  If you need this capacity on a regular basis then you need to step up to a bigger machine.  But you can buy 5-10 of these little ones for the price of one of those so for the occasional use you're way ahead of the game even if you shorten the life of the sander a bit.  I used this for 45 minutes straight today and was not gentle about it either.  A little extra vibration from the machine but it worked fine.

• Like 2