Comments On Wood Storage Cabinet

IveGotWood

Designing a small cubby system for wood storage and am trying to figure out how best to attach it to the wall. I'm thinking of using two french cleats attached to studs. The case is built from 3/4" plywood so it is going to weigh quite a bit. Loaded with wood it will obviously be even heavier. Will the cleat system be adequate for holding this weight?

WoodStorage.skp

French cleats are pretty strong but really it's going to depend on how you mount them to the studs in the wall. This looks like it's only a little over 2' across so you are only going to hit two studs in the wall best case scenario. I'd say two cleats held by some fairly hefty screws (not drywall type) should be able to hold a decent amount. I am using this new Spax type of screw that is at HD, they are really nice and hold great so far.

I just started using a cleat system and I have a shelf holding maybe 20 lbs attached to a single cleat over a 3' length (2 studs) attached with two #8 1 1/2" screws to each stud and it doesn't appear to be stressing the cleat at all.

Maybe some other folks here have put some hefty shelfs on their cleats and can give a better idea of weight distribution on a cleat system...

-Jim

My suggestion is not to put a 24" cleat. My suggestion is to put up Cleats all the way around your shop. Then hang everything on them. I've hung my cleats using boring old 2-1/2" drywall screws and it has held everything I've hung on it. Including cabinets that store tons of tools which must weigh over 100 pounds when full. My cleats are just ripped sheets of 3/4" plywood ripped to 5" wide with a 45 degree angle on one side. Very simple, very effective. Its also nice because you can move stuff around when ever you'd like.

Good luck.