Another SawStop Competitor emerges - SawDrop

JimB1

Just saw this one, the patents had been filed April last year and it looks like they are from a consortium of makers so we may soon see saw drop technology in a lot of new saws by big makers.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/editorsblog/SawStop+Might+Meet+A+Competitor+SawDrop.aspx?et_mid=119294&rid=3342170

http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=7UfTAAAAEBAJ&dq=table+saw

Doesn't trash the blade but from the description, might still need a cartridge after a trigger because they say it's similar to the way an airbag deploys. Can't wait to see a working version. Competition is good...

Just another log on the fire :)

-Jim

I enjoyed reading the link on that page that puts the number of TS injuries in perspective.

"While reviewing the numbers, I wondered about how the figures on table saws compared to other items. In 2009, there was an estimated total of about 22,000 finger amputations due to accidents of all kinds in the United States. There is no doubt that table saws are a significant portion of that number. Once again, the database sample is too small to provide estimates for many other items, but there was one item that caused about the same number of finger amputations as table saws, and about 10 times the number of total accidents. In addition, this product caused enough finger amputations among children under the age of 18 to generate an estimate of total occurrences, about 45 percent of the total. Five children a day are enduring finger amputations due to this hazard. The name of this product? The door."

it will be interesting to see this reduced to practice.

i'm curious with the sawstop, after it fires....how much realignment of the blade, fence, etc. is needed?

None, After I fired mine it was still dead on. According to the manual the saw is designed for 1 million fires before it can come out of alignment. That's why the trunions and arbors are so heavy duty. It has the bonus affect of giving the saw a wonderfully sturdy feel.

Take care.