how to glue up 12 dovetailed drawers? - without going nuts

Hello, I managed to get all the dovetails cut for 12 drawers in 1/2" baltic birch ply. I'll use 1/2" birch ply for the bottoms. I'm pleased overall with how it's gone so far, but now I have to get them glued and assembled together. These will be used as roll out drawers for kitchen cabinets. I have 12 parallel clamps (and some misc. others) to work with. I have (4) drawers 4 1/4" high, (4) 6 1/4" high, (2) 8 1/4" high and (2) 10 1/4" high and they are all about 23" deep. I'm not sure if I'll need regular Titebond glue, or would need something with a longer working time? This is my first run at making this many dovetail joints, trying to assemble them in an orderly way, keeping things straight and square and doing all this before the glue sets up on pieces half assembled.

I'm not sure how to set up the clamps or the type of glue that would be best for attacking this. I feel like this would be a fairly common procedure for many of you who use this site. Any advice you would give to help make this process easier for me to manage, believe me, is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Reggie

Reggie,

Your regular wood glue should be fine. I usually use two clamps when gluing up shallow dovetailed drawers (function of surface area). Your drawers look kinda deep (7-8") so you might need four clamps per drawer. Start with a dry-fit, doing everything you will do in the glue-up except applying glue. Do the tails sit proud of the pin board, flush, or recessed? If the tails are recessed, you need a way to apply clamping pressure to the tails before the clamp contacts the pin board. Cut a comb-shaped caul to do this. If you are using cauls, parallel bar clamps are less advantageous.

Begin gluing up at one side (left or right). When you have one side and the front and back together, slide in the bottom and glue the last two joints. Then clamp up and check diagonals for square. Also check that the drawer is not twisted, that it sits flat.