Using 50 Year Old Walnut Lumber

I am just getting started in woodworking, and I have a question that I am hoping someone here can help with. My first big project is going to be a desk for my son. I mentioned to my grandparents last week that I was planning to build it out of walnut. That was when I found out that there is a stack of rough cut walnut lumber that has been in their barn for about 50 years that I was welcome to use. So, my question is, are there any specific things I need to keep in mind or things to do or not do when surfacing and working with lumber that was rough cut 50 years ago? Thanks in advance!

D.J.

Clearly, you shouldn't use that Walnut for your project.

I think instead you should give it to me.

... wait for it... Okay, I'm lying. I'm just very envious.

I think that Walnut is a great find. (Personally one of my favorite woods.) Assuming it was properly stored and kept it should turn into a beautiful desk. Is your grandfather or grandmother a woodworker? If so, they probably stored it correctly. Otherwise, check it for moisture. If it was reclaimed from a barn or something you probably want to check it for metals (nails and the like). But if its rough cut, it probably won't have any.

Good luck. Have fun. Can't wait to see the photos.

Some peolpe have all the luck!! I agree with the posts so far. Check the moisture with a meter if you can. Also I think it would be a very good idea to place at least as much as you are likely to need in stick in the room or as near to the general conditions heat, humidity etc.as you can for as long as you can before commencing. If they are going to move it is best before and not after they are a desk. Once you're happy with the stuff enjoy. Say a big thanks to your parents and give them my address for what's left over.

Thanks for the replies so far. I agree that I am very lucky, and I'll be sure to do some prototypes first. I had been putting off purchasing the lumber for this project because I hadn't found a good place locally to buy it and I wasn't sure of the best place to order it online. I am sure glad I waited!

My grandfather has done some woodworking in the past, but I'm not sure exactly how the lumber is stored right now. I'm picking it up this weekend, so I'll see it then.

Any recommendations on a relatively cheap but good moisture meter?

Could be toxic. Please send it to my address and I will dispose of it properly ;) .

I am just getting started in woodworking, and I have a question that I am hoping someone here can help with. My first big project is going to be a desk for my son. I mentioned to my grandparents last week that I was planning to build it out of walnut. That was when I found out that there is a stack of rough cut walnut lumber that has been in their barn for about 50 years that I was welcome to use. So, my question is, are there any specific things I need to keep in mind or things to do or not do when surfacing and working with lumber that was rough cut 50 years ago? Thanks in advance!

D.J.