White area resists Danish oil

Meredith

I stripped and sanded a walnut veneer sideboard then applied Danish oil in dark walnut. A part of the wood along th bottom edge did not take the stain and is white. I was very careful to avoid sanding through the veneer, but it seems that may be what happened? Is this some glue below the veneer that is resisting the stain? Any other explanations? Thanks in advance for any suggested fixes.

I tried to upload a photo here: https://ibb.co/jgnpDkP

4795C442-DB97-494C-9172-61916543E8FB.jpeg

Definitely sanded through the veneer, which is a crying shame because that's a beautiful bit of grain. The veneer glue on the substrate is what's keeping the stain from taking. Commercially veneered plywood is so very delicate. I give it no more than the lightest pass with 220 or 300 by hand, but if the surface is in decent shape, no sanding at all until after the first coat of finish.

For best results & the least work, re-veneering the entire side is the way to go. If your very talented with colors & a brush, you may be able to touch it up so it wouldn't stand out to a cursory glance. But there'll be no hiding it from anything more.

• Like 1