Wood split on Mahogany table top

My first post here. I have a 7' import dining table made of what I assume is Indian mahogany because it was made in India. Here's the table:

http://www.theodorealexander.com/ProductDetail.aspx?itemid=390b3637-f24f-40ea-8ae2-74e2db7a946f

Until yesterday, it was disassembled and the table top was in a freezing cold storage facility standing against a wall, vertically. We brought it home and it has cracked or split on both ends. And i think, one crack actually happened overnight as it acclimated to room temp. It's a rustic table and I don't mind scratches however, I know the cracks will only gather food and dirt. Right now, I have it leaning an a wall but, horizontally.

What solutions are available to fill the cracks, which are 7 to 8" in length and the larger of the two splits is about 1/4" wide, tapering down to hairline. Again, it's rustic so as long as it's a durable fix, it doesn't have to be perfection. Oh, there are a couple of hairline cracks in the center of table too...

Thank you for your time!

I'd wait until the piece has completely stabilized in its new environment before doing anything. Who knows, the cracks might close up where you can fill them with some epoxy. One trick I've heard of it to take a 1/4" straight router bit in a hand-held router, and cut in one crack, across the table, and out the other crack. You can even try to follow the grain when you make this cut. That way you end up with two pieces whose edges will match each other perfectly, even if they are not straight. Then, glue the two pieces together.

Yes, I will wait. As a matter of fact, it's for a new house build, of which I happen to be building the entire house around this table ;)

I figured epoxy. I just have no clue as to a brand and the type of application. I am a complete novice.

Thank you for your quick response. As our house takes shape, I look forward to learning more on this site.

p.s. i can offer a picture of the actual table with the 'imperfections' in about an hour...

Charles Neil has a short video that shows a trick similar to Beech's router idea. Instead of the router, Charles uses repeated cuts with a bandsaw to do the same thing, but with a minimum of material removed. Here's the video:

-- Russ