Option for Front Door Finish

cjm111

I've been working with wood elements for many years...going all the way back to the late 1960's when I refinished golf clubs (yes, the old days when woods were actually wood).  IN the past few years, I have been building slab tables and mantles.  I typically use Danish Oil for color and have used General FInishes products like Arm Or Seal for finishes. 

I am working on a project that is relatively new for me.  My front doors are knotty alder and get late afternoon sun on an angle....the lower part of the doors is fading and I have decided to redo the doors to add color back to the natural color that was on the doors.  Here is my question.  If I use GF gel stain, can I use a Marine Spar Varathane or other marine finish to prevent this from occuring again in the short term?  Or, will any of the GF products be durable enough to withstand the late Texas afternoon sun?

Any suggestions or recommendations are appreciated.

I have not used this particular line from GF, but they have products called "Exterior 450" that look like they'd fit the bill for you. There's both a stain and compatible outdoor topcoat with UV inhibitors. Like a lot of GF products they're water based. My guess is these products (properly applied of course) will make your doors look great for a long time, but the brutal sun makes a permanent fix unreasonable to expect.

Stain: https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-professional/exterior-topcoats-stains-oils/exterior-450-water-based-wood-stain

Topcoat: https://generalfinishes.com/wood-finishes-professional/exterior-topcoats-stains-oils/exterior-450-water-based-topcoat

I personally would like to try this combination on a project this spring/summer. 

I think were you to use a spar varathane or spar varnish you'd likely end up with a bit of color change over stain (which may be fine). Minimally I would try an outdoor rated stain under it like the GF one noted.

• Like 1