mortise & tenon joint along glued-up board

I need some advice with the jointing of a bed project I'm working on.

post-4026-0-13035000-1299323107_thumb.pn

the tenons are on the footboard of the bed in this design. however, if the heat/foot-boards are to be glue-ups of at least 4 pieces, how will the double tenon affect the glue-up over time?

would it be better to simply use one long tenon?

I have absolutely no experience with this type of situation, and wanted to get the best idea of the long-term effects...

does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

I may be wrong, but I don't see any reason the double tenon would affect the glue-ups at all.

The reason for the double tenon is to leave more material in the post. A single, long mortise would weaken the post somewhat. But the double tenon arrangement leaves that extra bit of material between the two mortises intact, and that reduces the chance that the post will split. That's also the reason (besides aesthetics) that the top mortise doesn't extend all the way to the end of the post.

As a side note, if you're cutting the mortises by hand near the end of a board like this, it's a good idea to leave the part long until you have the mortises done to help prevent the board from splitting while you're working on it. Then cut it to final length after you're done with the mortise.

-- Russ