Which osmo on walnut butcherblock

Wesley

I had European walnut butcher block installed 10 months ago and they only used a single coat of osmo top oil wiped on.needless to say it’s really wearing in some places.

im not sure what to do now as I’ve heard osmo top oil might not penetrate walnut well. I’ve been told by some to just lightly sand and add a couple more coats of top oil. Ive also been told to use the top oil with a slurry technique, sanding it in. I’ve also been told to switch to polyx or extra thin wood wax finish. 
many advice? I’m a novice in all this and don’t want to mess it up too much 

These would be good questions to run past Osmo, if you can find a customer service number or address.  I don't have experience with the particular problem you describe, but my knee jerk response would be to apply a refresh coat of Top Oil.  I don't see that making matters worse.  

• 4 months later...

Ive used the clear extra thin 1101 as well as the Polyx-oil 3043. If you are sure that was used before I would start with the 1101 and a white 3m pad to buff/burnish it in. A little goes a long way but you will start to see where it soaks in, go over that with more extra thin and once you have an even coat over the countertop let it dry for 30 minutes. Then get a new white 3m and buff the extra off. I would let that dry another day then do it again. After two coats of extra thin I then do one coat of Polyx-oil or top oil and another white pad, let it sit for thirty. Then I use a cheap buffer and a microfiber towel and buff the surface. Let that dry for 24 hours. Its a lot of work but I have finished many tables like this. Very resistant to water BUT you cant leave it on the surface. Long enough to have dinner with your friends and not worry about moisture, but wipe the table dry while you're cleaning up and no water spots. 

• Like 1

Since my previous post I have learned a little bit more about the Osmo products.  First there is now a USA customer service number (previously you had to reach out to Osmo Canada).  So I have this from Osmo USA:  The only difference between Top Coat and Polyx-Oil is that Top Coat is lower viscosity (contains more solvent I think).  Top Coat is certified food safe in Europe, but Polyx was not submitted to the certification process.  The process is very expensive and has to be done for every SKU number, so ever formulation and every can size.  Top Coat has way fewer SKU's then Polyx-oil so Osmo only submitted Top Coat for review.  Maybe that info helps someone.