Bookcase Materials

I need to build three half-height bookcases for my office/basement/man-cave. The graphic novels gotta go somewhere, at least. The last bookcase I built was solid wood, to match as close as I could the built-in bookcases in that room. These new ones, I don't have the money or time right now to do with solid wood, so I was going to make the case out of birch plywood, and put a face frame on it.

I'm (probably) choosing birch because that's all I know how to find in sheet goods right now; my three choices are Home Depot, Lowe's, and Rockler. If anyone has suggestions for hardwood sheets near Pittsburgh that sell to amateurs, let me know?

That said, if I'm using birch for the case, what should I make the face frame out of, and should I try to stain the two to match, or give up on that from the get-go?

Alternatively, should I just edge-band the birch with birch, and solve this that way?

Is the poplar any cheaper than the birch ply? I'd argue for the this instead of the ply. I know the Woodcraft near me has better ply, but the costs of ply locally are, well, outrageous to an empty wallet. Budgets being what they are and all.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the poplar any cheaper than the birch ply? I'd argue for the this instead of the ply. I know the Woodcraft near me has better ply, but the costs of ply locally are, well, outrageous to an empty wallet. Budgets being what they are and all.

Not sure, can check.

Really discouraged by a lack of choices in not-crap plywood nearby. The only place I've found doesn't sell to the public; professional supply only.

This was a hit on Google that looks promising: http://www.localpages.com/pa/pittsburgh/lumber-dealers

Several on there sound like they would sell to individuals. There's an 84 Lumber near my place and I can go buy there.

For cabinet boxes, a lot of times I use waferboard instead of ply. The face frame you're putting on will add a lot of strength, too. What I like about waferboard is 1/2" is 1/2" not "nominal we don't really know but close to 1/2"". It is also very very stable. I also like that the face veneers are much thicker than I usually see on ply. At least that's the case in my area and I'm comparing two dealers.

I live outside Pittsburgh. There are several 84 lumber stores around. Their ply is better than HD/Lowes. HP Starr is near me and has good stuff. I get hardwood from Mars Lumber. I don't know what ply options they have, but I'd give them a call and ask. All of these will deal with individuals. I asked HP Starr if they could order some special plywood. They could, but I never actually did it.

This was a hit on Google that looks promising: http://www.localpage.../lumber-dealers

Several on there sound like they would sell to individuals. There's an 84 Lumber near my place and I can go buy there.

For cabinet boxes, a lot of times I use waferboard instead of ply. The face frame you're putting on will add a lot of strength, too. What I like about waferboard is 1/2" is 1/2" not "nominal we don't really know but close to 1/2"". It is also very very stable. I also like that the face veneers are much thicker than I usually see on ply. At least that's the case in my area and I'm comparing two dealers.

I've tried two of those lumber dealers, one is near my house even, but they specialize in 2x4"s; Paul's is basically where contractors go when redoing roofing or framing a house.

Will give 84 a shot; just assumed they'd have similar selection to HD or Lowe's. Oops?

I live outside Pittsburgh. There are several 84 lumber stores around. Their ply is better than HD/Lowes. HP Starr is near me and has good stuff. I get hardwood from Mars Lumber. I don't know what ply options they have, but I'd give them a call and ask. All of these will deal with individuals. I asked HP Starr if they could order some special plywood. They could, but I never actually did it.

I haven't been up to Mars Lumber yet, them and HP Starr are both about an hour north of me. :-) Might have to give it a trip this weekend, thanks!

I live in TN and I am surrounded by Amish folks.

I can by black walnut, cherry ash, maple for just under 10 dollars for an 1x8x9 feet rough cut.

From what I've heard there are even more Amish in PA.

Seems like every time I ask they are from PA! :)

I would try to find them. You may find gold at then end of that there rainbow.

Good luck

I live in TN and I am surrounded by Amish folks.

I can by black walnut, cherry ash, maple for just under 10 dollars for an 1x8x9 feet rough cut.

From what I've heard there are even more Amish in PA.

Seems like every time I ask they are from PA! :)

I would try to find them. You may find gold at then end of that there rainbow.

Good luck

The Amish and Mennonites are about three hours East of me or more; they start in Central PA, and wind up towards the Northeast corner of the state, but not many of them on the western side.

The Amish and Mennonites are about three hours East of me or more; they start in Central PA, and wind up towards the Northeast corner of the state, but not many of them on the western side.

There are several pockets of them throughout the state of Ohio. I don't have reliable wheels, otherwise I'd go check out some of their offerings and potential lumber yards.

As for 84 Lumber, one of the guys I went to school with was a regional supervisor for them. Haven't talked with him in a few years, just about a year before his deployment. They are (from what I remember, anyway) pretty much like a BORG lumberyard with slightly better prices, and better selection. I don't know what else they sell. I'd visit them, but see above regarding the car.