Table saw side extension

JayWC

For some time now I have been wishing for a larger table saw top. Until I recently built my out-feed table I made due; however, the new out-feed table spurred me on to work on my table saw too. Over the weekend I used angle iron leftover in my shop from another paying project and one 27x20 piece of 10GA metal to make a side extension table for my saw. Now my saw table and out-feed table are matched in width. I already used the extension this weekend to cut some shelving to length. I did not have to push down to hold the shelving from tipping off the saw and could better focus on cutting the piece instead! Hallelujah! I am including one photo as a "before" showing the saw in the background.

I matched the hole diameter in the flange bolting the top to the saw so I could match the surface of the wing to the main table. You can see the bottle jack I used on the floor to level the wing with the main table using my 4' level as a straight edge. The angle iron for the kickers is overkill, but I had it laying around.

post-3726-0-70125700-1299504249_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-35316300-1299504513_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-18242400-1299504522_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-86703900-1299504527_thumb.jp

post-3726-0-20642100-1299504538_thumb.jp

Nice!

I want that saw!

Have you decided on a fence upgrade yet?

A Biesemeyer would sure look good on that unisaw.

I am working on a new mobile base to hold two contractors saws and it sure is satisfying to improve a tool. You have done a good job and I bet that table will never sag! ;)

Nice!

I want that saw!

Have you decided on a fence upgrade yet?

A Biesemeyer would sure look good on that unisaw.

I am working on a new mobile base to hold two contractors saws and it sure is satisfying to improve a tool. You have done a good job and I bet that table will never sag! ;)

Hey Brett. Thanks for the good word. I am thinking the Biesemeyer is the way to go. It was definitely worth my time to make this improvement to the saw and I do indeed hope it never sags. Then again, if it does, I just have to loosen the bolts to adjust it. I'm hoping to upgrade the saw in the future, but I know doing this added years to the saw in my mind!

Last night I was working in the shop with my 3 year old daughter. I learned something from her. Apparently the extension is not for me. It's for her...

Right before she decided to go draw she was catching boards as they came out of my 22-44 ODS...hence the hearing protection.

post-3726-0-85364800-1299700338_thumb.jp

Last night I was working in the shop with my 3 year old daughter. I learned something from her. Apparently the extension is not for me. It's for her...

Right before she decided to go draw she was catching boards as they came out of my 22-44 ODS...hence the hearing protection.

Cute girl! That is great to have her helping in the shop. Some of my kids like to come out and work in the shop too. It is special to have them out there and spending time with them.

Here is the post on my new mobile base.

I put two saws on it. The last post is what it looks like today. I still have to build the router table and cabinet on the end.

When you do decide to upgrade your saw, you shouldn't have much trouble getting someone to buy your old one. I would really like to restore an old Unisaw to like new condition. I keep my eye out for them. There have been some really good deals out there, I just have a hard time justifying the money when I don't really need one. Someday maybe.