First Green Roughout

TimV

I wanted to take a moment to thank a fellow forum member and caster for guidance last night. You know him as Roger T. I've done quite a bit of turning in the past and I'd like to think I'm fairly experienced. However, all my turnings have been on dry or well seasoned wood.

A neighbor had a Bradford Pear tree break in a storm earlier last week. He offered some of it to me. I snatched up a couple of the larger logs that had just been cut on Saturday. I have never turned anything "straight from the tree" like this before. I cut one of the logs with a 6-7" diameter into a 8" length. But this is where I stalled.

Roger T was chatting and I knew he has experience so I asked for some help. He offered right away with suggestions. And through the process of me casting and us chatting, he guided me through bandsawing the log blank all the way through roughing out the blank and storing it away in a paper sack to dry. He stayed with me for the 2-1/2 hour journey of my first wet wood roughing. And what a joy it was! I learned some great procedures and techniques from Roger.

This was a great learning experience for me and I'm sure a handful of other "watchers" were entertained and maybe educated a little too.

So THANKS Roger for helping me last night!!!!

I was on the chat last night as an observer. It really was fascinating watching this come together! Not only did Roger help Tim, he also answered many questions from several of us who have very little turning experience. Watching Tim and listening to Roger's advice it makes me want to out and spin up the lathe! Thank you to both Roger and Tim!