three phase power

Chet Weatherl

I would recommend you call around to see if a local motor rebuilding shop will take the three-phase motor in on trade for a single-phase motor. You might be able to get this done without too much additional cost. You could do a rotary phase converter, but they are expensive, take up a lot of space, and you don't get full power out of the three-phase motor anyway.

I agree, swap or sell the 3 phase.I bought a Unisaw about 15yrs ago that had a 5hp 3 phase. I did find a local shop willing to give me a reasonable trade credit towards the purchase of a new 3hp single phase motor that fit the unisaw brackets perfectly.

Also for your info, I played around with building my own rotary converter out of a few used 3 phase motors. The 3 phase motors were available cheap at a local junkyard. In fact I bought one 3ph 15hp motor for a few bucks and the yard gave me 4 more. Wiring diagrams (how to do it) are available on-line. I did it and still have the converter set-up ready to go but never use it. It's not very efficient but do-able.

I found a few helpful articles in a Taunton press woodworking book called woodworking machinery.