Wipe on? Spray on? Brush on?

tomsworkbench

Do you guys have a preference on how you like to apply finishes?

Once I discovered that you could thin poly and wipe it on, I stopped dreading the finishing process. At least I wouldn't get bubbles in the finish.

I've tried spraying, but with the conventional gun and my smaller compressor, that's pretty much out for me...

Once I discovered that you could thin poly and wipe it on, I stopped dreading the finishing process. At least I wouldn't get bubbles in the finish.

I've tried spraying, but with the conventional gun and my smaller compressor, that's pretty much out for me...

I too get better results with a wipe on product. My brushing is the pits! Runs, drips, too thick, and my eyes are not what they used to be :( !

I like HVLP spraying. I love the control at which you can apply the finish. Although I will say there are times when I too prefer a wipe on finish. There is a certain satisfaction from creating a deep rich finish by hand.

My son is teaching me the fine art of air brushing. I like the fact that you can highlight details with stain by creating certain shadow lines to enhance them. The effects are almost 3D.

When I started woodworking I simply brushed on oil-based poly. Then after researching it enough I decided to try making my own wipe-on poly and love it. I usually do 50/50 poly and mineral spirits. Four coats seems to be the trick for me. I do want to try spraying finishes too. I was planning on buying a few spray cans to try on a few smaller projects before I invest in an hvlp setup. What does everyone recommend for the first time sprayer? Laquer? Water-based Poly?

Thinned poly is great; if you're not in a hurry, you can put it on, wipe off all the excess, and it'll be perfect, although it'll take a lot of coats to get a build up on the surface. For anything going outdoors, it's my go-to. I've never been able to get un-thinned poly to look right at all.

I'm a big fan of sanding in a BLO finish on walnut; it looks great, although you have to reapply every now and again. (Less than once a year, and it's quick.) Sand the whole thing to about 150 grit, oil, wipe off. Later that day, or the next, put on the oil and sand it in with 220 grit, let it dry for a bit, then wipe it off again. The next day, same thing, oil with 320 grit, then wipe off. Keep going until it doesn't look dry, maybe four or five coats in total.

A friend has a spray booth for lacquer, which is great; for smaller pieces, I'll get a spray-can of gloss lacquer. With the spray can, I have to do more coats to get the same thickness, but the end result is pretty similar. Either way, after the final coat of lacquer, I'll get a sponge, murphy's oil soap, and pumice, and rub the finish to a really smooth semi-gloss.

I recently started spraying, but for smaller things it's not worth the hassle - so I'll brush,wipe (depending what the finish is).

if it's BLO - I wipe on, wipe off, and get a bit of karate kid training while at it.

if its poly - I'll brush first 2 coats (foam brush - I don't get bubbles), which build up more than a wipe-on version, sand 400 grit in between to knock off any high spots. then I'll thin 50/50 poly with mineral spirits, and wipe-on 3 more coats which dry faster, easier to apply, and are more even, however that's after I already have a heavy base to go off of.

Then again - I'm the oddball, I actually LIKE finishing, and seeing the project and wood come to life.

I'm actually limited by several things, so I tend to stick with the wipe on method. (budget, ventilation, and space are the primary restrictions.)

THing is, I'm usually using the wipe on method on things that should be brushed...