A Wee Rant about Planned Obsolescence (and Lifetime Warranties)

Calmudgeon

Recently the quill spring broke on my Ridgid 15" drill press. So I got on the phone to the nearest authorized repair depot (~200 km away) to inquire about a replacement under lifetime warranty. That's when I discovered that Ridgid no longer makes the model I have, and worse, no longer supplies the replacement part I need. The solution? They would honour the warranty this way: If I brought my drill press in to the repair shop, they would then  issue a work order (but not before), and Ridgid would replace the entire drill press with the newer model. All for a a $15 part. But here's the rub:

1. I live in Canada, so I know how fast the turnaround in on this sort of thing is. I'm willing to bet I'd be without a drill press in my shop for at least 2 months.
  2. The swap would involve two 400 km round trips, most likely pulling my enclosed work trailer. I estimate that would be close to $350 CDN in gas alone. That's 60% of the cost of the new drill press.

I asked about a 3rd party alternative, but they couldn't find one. So, it's off to Amazon for old Cal, and lo and behold, I found a Chinese 3rd party alternative that I think will work. Two springs for $25.

I've had occasion to call upon Ridgid's lifetime warranty in the past, so I have some good things to say about it, but man, this one just blows me away. I guess in this case "lifetime" means up until the first component fails.

Quill Spring.jpg

• Sad 3

The Ridgid LSA is hard to beat.  there are situations with larger and older machines that do not pan out so well.  Sorry you are in one of those situations.  I am probably spoiled living on the left coast of the U.S.  Everything is here or awfully nearby.  Glad you found an alternative. You don't mention how long you have had use of the machine.  I sometimes have to factor that in as to whether I will repair or replace a tool.  When we have an expectation of a warranty and the world moves on it is often less than perfect. Again, glad you fond an alternative.

On 3/23/2023 at 5:03 PM, gee-dub said:

You don't mention how long you have had use of the machine.  I sometimes have to factor that in as to whether I will repair or replace a tool. 

I've had the machine about 12 years. It's not new, but it's not exactly an ancient piece of machinery, either. The Chinese/Amazon springs arrived today, and I was able to install one and make it work. The spring is somewhat lighter, which I knew when ordering, I may have to increase the tension, but I don't want to overdo it right away just in case.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 2:16 PM, Coop said:

Have you tried eReplacementparts.com? 

Yes. This is how far that got me. Also, shipping from U.S. sources to Canada is most often brutal.  I ordered two router bits from Infinity Tools a while back, and the shipping was $100 US, half the cost of the bits themselves.

Image 1.jpg

• Like 1