Why do i get snipe at the beginning of a cut?

Nick2cd

Hoe thick of material are you planing? THinner stock might have a tendency to get sucked up a little by the cutter head. What I do to avoid snipe on thicker pieces, is when I feed the stock into that planer, I lift up on the back end slightly and let the machine pull it down.. you can also adjust your tables to be slightly up on the ends instead of perfectly flat..

Hoe thick of material are you planing? THinner stock might have a tendency to get sucked up a little by the cutter head. What I do to avoid snipe on thicker pieces, is when I feed the stock into that planer, I lift up on the back end slightly and let the machine pull it down.. you can also adjust your tables to be slightly up on the ends instead of perfectly flat..

i am working with 7/4 cherry and walnut. this is a great tip and makes sense. i will give it a try. of course, i just came from my shop where i planed a cutting board after the first glue up. i didn't get the snipe that i've been complaining about. just like when you take your car to the mechanic and say it's making a kerchunk noise when i do this.......and nothing. hopefully your tip will make eliminating the snipe more predictable. Thanks, Sac.