What is this? (Wood noob)

steck388

I'm closing on a 1850 row home in a historic part of my town in Maryland. It's currently carpeted but I was curious what was underneath. Since I can't rip any carpet up yet, I lifted out a vent cover. I have no idea what this is. It's a bit over 1inch thick and looks like some type of compressed wood. Is it possible the original floor was removed and updated or is this some type of hard wood? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Original reddit image/post

Your pic is too out of focus to really tell much of anything. Actual wood is possible, but so is a manufactured product. Can you use a chisel or knife to clean up the surface of a small area and get a well focused pic?

• Thanks 1

@phinds is right, that photoisn't enough for solid ID, but I would hazard a guess, and say that coukd be some very slow-grown red oak. The 'fracture' pattern along the edge of the cutout looks much like I see when a flat sawn red oak board is broken along the grain. That has really tight grain, but 1850 and 'row house' make me think it is a species likely to have bedn commonly used.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...