WTO radio moving sheet goods

Dave H

i was listening to WTO radio podcast #81 one of the subjects was moving sheet goods and here are some pics that might help.

post-2926-0-15520400-1302191837_thumb.jp

and remember always wear a helmet and of coarse these safety glasses. and one more helful hint for a home made lumber rack

post-2926-0-45708300-1302191855_thumb.jp

I shared this one in the chat room last night, but will share here as well. I was driving past Lowe's one day and saw a car getting ready to pull out of the parking lot. On top of the car was a either a sheet of hardboard or a thin sheet of plywood. It was not tied down, but instead out of each window there was an arm coming out and holding the sheet down to the top of the car with their fingers.

I drove on, so I didn't see what happened, but my guess would be that they didn't make it home with that sheet intact.

years ago i was rebuilding a patio roof for my mom i was hauling sheets of clear vinyl corigated roofing it was 16' long i had a lumber rack on my pick up truck it could only support 8' material so iput the maximum amount of lenghth out the back and the rest of the unsupported material was in front of the rack. i knew it was going to try and lift in the front so my route was take the back roads to moms house. as i was driveing i found 25 mph was the sweet spot for keeping the lift from folding the roofing in half everything was going great and then a semi truck passed me in the opposite direction and the whoosh of air from the truck folded the vinyl over sh%&*#t i got to moms and on every sheet there was a visible crease across the width of the sheets. but in one of the rare moments in my life when things went my way the crease landed on a purling and didn't show and mom being pretty picky if it had showed i'm sure it would have cost me couple hundred to replace the roofing.