new lathe for me, need advice pls

bywc

Hi all, Today I got an offer I couldn't turn down, I got a 14"x40" lathe and 8 tools with a stand for $30 I didnt really intend on trying turning but now I have this I figure at that price I couldn't say no I understand its a cheaper HF model not a jet but seeing how I dont know if i will even like turning the price was right lol.

So now the question what kind of oil do I use on to lubricate the tail stock thing? and any other things I should oil etc before I get it a go?

Thanks in advance all for response.

post-355-0-91124300-1302580267_thumb.jpg

Just scrape the rust off and go for it! If there are bearings you can put a couple drops of whatever oil you normally use. I use a little lithium grease in my tail stock end. Its all steel and iron so I don't think it really matters as long as it doesn't fly off and make a mess or ruin your project. I've used some nice moly grease on stuff and it works great but as soon as you touch it it never seems to come off your hands or clothes. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Sharp tools make all the difference. If you don't have a grinder setup already, you'll want to look into that real soon.

-- Russ

No offense to Marc, but I'd recommend another podcast on this topic. Podcast 37: Turning Tools, of the Woodworking Online podcast. (I got it via iTunes.) Created September of 2008, by the Woodsmith Shop folks. I have that almost permanently stored on my iPod.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

You shouldn't need to lubricate any bearings as they are made permanently lubricated, for the tailstock I would use 3 in 1 oil, lithium grease, pretty much any metal on metal lubricant. Another thing that helps is to put some kind of light oil or wax on the bed of the lathe to make moving the tailstock and banjo easier.

Well its been a while since I got it and I have had many failures and many um what to call them kind of fancy tooth picks lol I got the thing to screw into the back of wood and have made a few bowls these are the two that turned out ok lol the others either broke or when I was cutting the bottom or sides I cut threw and ruined it Oh well its all learning this is fun for sure tho I know the bowls are nothing compared to you guys but its my humble attempt thanks for looking.

post-355-0-20796700-1307136815_thumb.jpg

post-355-0-43555800-1307136826_thumb.jpg

About a month ago I saw an almost identical lathe at HF marked clearance for just over a hundred bucks so I brought it home. I hadn't turned anything since shop class more than 30 years ago, so I didn't want to spend $600 to find out I didn't enjoy it. Last week, I finally built a stand for it and I love it. I built the stand heavy, since the lathe itself is not that heavy, so bolted down to the stand, it's great. It's not a fancy machine, but it does the job.

I went out to my woodpile and picked a piece of oak about two feet long and 3 inches in diameter. That piece of firewood really turned out beautiful! I'm a total novice at this, but I can see myself spending a lot of time out in the shop turning firewood into all sorts of stuff. We usually burn 6 to 8 cords a winter, mostly oak with some hickory, cherry, and walnut thrown in, so I'll have plenty to choose from. The best part is, we get all that wood for free. After seeing how nice that piece turned, I'm thinking of trying to mill some of it into usable boards to build other stuff.