saw plate back

nateswoodworks

I received my new dovetail saw kit from Mike at Wenzloff and Sons and am ready for the fun part, making it-yippie!! I was wondering how those of you who have done this before put the brass backing on? Gramercy has video's showing their way and I was also thinking that clamping the plate in my vice between two peices of stock and tapping with a mallet on the brass backer would work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nate

I was also thinking that clamping the plate in my vice between two peices of stock and tapping with a mallet on the brass backer would work. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Wenzloff's website has a photo slidshow showing exactly what you were thinking. Haven't done it myself but Wenzloff's method looks easer than the Gramery method to me.

I just can't figure out how in my MANY visits to Mikes site I did not see that before, I think he added it after I stopped contemplating what I wanted and before I buckled down and ordered it. That is basically what I was thinking with a little variation, thanks alot Chris. Also in case you guys/gals didn't know it Mike suffered a couple heart attacks a month or so ago, he is doing better now and is trying to get caught up so there is a delay on orders but is worth it.

Nate

Glad to hear that Mike is getting better. I hadn't yet heard specifically what happened.

BTW, be sure to post some pics when you finish the kit. I've been thinking I might "need" a second DT saw and have gotten an itch to try a kit. Would love to hear how your saw building experience goes.