Two-Tone Finish Delimma

TimV

Sorry that this is long, but it is a significant build.

I am to build a full wall unit that is free standing but will appear as if it is a built in. See sketch 1 below. Each section will be built independnantly. That is the center "computer armoire" section, each of the two side shelf units, the left "locker unit" and the the right "file cabinet/shelves" will all be seperate. My client (my wife) wanted it to be a dark rich tone. I recommended mahagony and thanks to Nabil for recommending Marc's dark mahogany finish recipe. She loved it. But after contemplating on it for a while, she has become intimidated by having a full wall of "dark". We have a dark Bamboo flooring and she thinks that this will make the room too dark. I tend to agree with her on that point. She then recommended I paint it white with a dark mocha glaze to age it and give it the antique look. I like that look and agreed (again). There is a large $ difference between buying mahagony and poplar! duh. She thought about that for a little while and finally has chosen a two tone finishing scheme. She would like the 4 outside units (shelves, locker and file cabinet) to be the dark mahogany and the center armoire to be the antiqued white.

But here is the delimma: Because the upper doors on each of the units will be glass, she believes the two upper doors on the armiore section should also be dark mahagony to pull the sides in and the armiore portion to be antiqued white. Ok, no problem so far. But now the challenge. I have to construct the armiore with inset doors because I am going to use hidden pocket door hardware. Inset doors on the lower computer area means inset doors on the upper glass door area too, right? I would typically us a full stile from floor to top as in the second sketch with rails in between to divide the areas as in sketch 2. Note, sketch 1 was prior to inset doors or 2-tone finish. But with a two tone finish, how do I manage that? Is there a way to differentiate the finish on the same piece? I don't think it would be correct to make that center rail extend all the way to the sides and have the stile split. Would a small intermediate moulding between the two sections work? Or, do I actually make two seperate pieces for the center section, one for the armoire and one for the upper glass door piece? Then, combine them at install?

sketch.jpg

ArmoireInside.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tim

Sorry that this is long, but it is a significant build.

Significant seems to be an understatement, Tim. That is certainly a big piece of furniture.

While I can usually 'see' a piece in my mind's eye, my wife struggles. You'll be living with that piece for some time, so it wants to be right. I'd try out a paper mockup first if I was you. If the wall is clear, you could tape wallpaper lining to the wall, otherwise make up a trellis like skeleton and tape paper to it. Mark the various unit outlines with a big black marker pen, and paint the colours on the paper - watercolours or acrylics and a big brush. Then 'live' with it for a few days. You may find that both of you find something needs changing.

It's amazing how a slight colour change can turn 'menacing' into 'peaceful'.

But with a two tone finish, how do I manage that? Is there a way to differentiate the finish on the same piece? I don't think it would be correct to make that center rail extend all the way to the sides and have the stile split. Would a small intermediate moulding between the two sections work? Or, do I actually make two seperate pieces for the center section, one for the armoire and one for the upper glass door piece? Then, combine them at install?

I'd go for two pieces if nothing else to make it easier to build and install - a piece 92" high will be a struggle to work on, and move around.

John