lacquer over linseed oil

ediazf

Hi, I've made some research on it and it seems to be ok, but just wanted to be sure.

I made myself a cajon drum, and maked it out of pine (just a test piece, the real final cajon woulb be out of some other and hard wood) and just wanted to finish it with many coats of linseed oil, but after that I want to put some coats of lacquer for the piece to resist some abuse and have a glossy finish.

Well, if you can confirm there is no issues with this procedure, I'd be on it!

PS: other question, I am from Chile, so some woodworking finishes I can't seems to find in my language so I can buy them. Linseed oil is translated easily to "Aceite de linaza" and that's how I get it here, but TUNG OIL I can't get it's spanish name and can really find it on stores, maybe some of you can tell me it's name or maybe give the components so I can ask for it on some specialty store.

As long as the BLO is fully cured, you should have no problems. I would give it at least a week. I would also not go overboard with the number of coats. I assume you are adding oil first for visual impact. You can get that with one or two thinned coats of oil. Every coat thereafter is really just making more work for you. Once you coat it with lacquer, all those extra coats won't really make much difference. So I would recommend applying no more than two coats of BLO, giving it a week or so to cure (longer if you are patient), then start coating with your lacquer.

As long as the BLO is fully cured, you should have no problems. I would give it at least a week. I would also not go overboard with the number of coats. I assume you are adding oil first for visual impact. You can get that with one or two thinned coats of oil. Every coat thereafter is really just making more work for you. Once you coat it with lacquer, all those extra coats won't really make much difference. So I would recommend applying no more than two coats of BLO, giving it a week or so to cure (longer if you are patient), then start coating with your lacquer.

I tried some BLO to a test piece... the oil was really to give some effect and a darker tone to the very white pine. I am aware of the problem staining pine, and I really didn't wanted to buy extra stuff, besides the stain eventually, just to darken a test cajon drum.

So I think I am going to go straight to the laquer.

Should be fine, hope to get it done this week and post some pictures me playing my new cajon drum :)

Thanks!!