Replacing a motor with a jet pump motor

elwoodblues

I have never tried to replace a motor on a dust collector before but I have replaced motors on a number of woodworking machines. The key factors you want to look for is the RPM, armature size, and motor frame. The RPM is rather obvious, the armature size is sometimes overlooked but is equally important. If the armature on your current motor is 5/8" then you don't want to buy a motor with a 3/4" armature, if you do you won't be able to hook it up to whatever your current motor is hooked up to without taking a part to a machine shop.

The motor frame is also important because that tells you not only the size of the motor but also how it attaches to whatever holds it in place. A lot of woodworking machine have 56 frames or something similar to that and attach with 4 bolts to a base plate. I looked up on google "jet pump" motor and saw several motors that were obviously not 56 frames. I don't know what your current motor is or what frame it is, but make sure it matches your replacement.

So long as those 3 things match and it takes the type of power you need then you will be ok in buying a replacement. One thing to keep in mind when buying used motors is the possibility that the bearings will need replacing. It is not difficult to replace bearings so keep in mind that you may have to do it.