Shaper

joestyles

3 HP reversible two speed. Just got it working for the first time and it is a beast but it runs well. Never used one before had to count my fingers twice after the first time using it to make sure. Any advice what to use the thing for? I know in a general way what it is for and now that it is up and running have a few plans for it. Was wondering if anyone has one and if so what they do with it?

got some stackers got some 1/2" router bits. Got tongue and groove cutters. I have one of those multi profile bits. I could make some fancy molding or custom crown stuff etc. I am currently using it to put rabbits in some stuff I am doing and have it set up to run production. I guess that is my plan so far to use it for production runs to replace the dado set up for now. I was thinking of raised panel stuff in the future. I know this thing can hog out a lot of material at once with a decent cut just curious if anyone knows some of the limitations or the upsides. Plus what they would use one for if they had/have one.

I have looked through a lot of old books like this. As with others like this the old ways of doing things have been replaced by modern innovations sometimes better sometimes just more convenient. One of the more interesting things I found was for doing table legs on the shaper with a jig. Also the patterns were very interesting. They did some fancy stuff with low tech.

The pics may be black and white and the book old but it has already saved me some grief. The set up of the shaper fence was out of whack I would not have noticed it except I was looking for it. I would have made many cuts that would have been tapered instead of straight :) Thanks again for the link.