dust collector system help

duckkisser

ok i need to update the dust collection system in schools wood shop. the previous shop teacher put in the clear plastic piping and hooked up 3 shop vacs to the ends which covers a length of about 100 feet. it works well enough to make my bosses happy but not great. We have delta dust collector(model 50-840) in the shop that was buried because my curent teacher is eather lazy or enipt and does not put any work into the shop he just collects a pay check. (let not go into my frustraiting work conditions right now maybe letter after i work out on a punching bag). the system is set up like this

V:115/230

A:9/4.5

Hp:1

Rpm 3450

Ph:1.3 wire

HZ:60

i know a little about electrical but not enough to know if this will work. we often have 1 or 2 band saws runing periodicly. two virtical sanders larger models not shure size but as big as you can get without going industrial(use often). 3 palm sanders thought might be able to splice in to help clean up counter tops. two oscilating sanders, miter saw, router, planer, jointer, raidial arm saw. we usualy dont have more then 2 or 3 machines going steady at one time since it is small classes and usualy its the sanders going. thought i would have the dust collector hooked up to going into into a 55 gallion drum with a sealing latch on the lid so it will be air tight. Should i turn the drum into a cyclone divider or can i just make it into a chip seperator. what will work better? and will the cyclone leave behind everything or will the realy fine dust be sucked up into the other pipe?

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_Tools-All-Delta_50_840_1_HP_Single_Stage_Dust_Collector

http://www.users.interport.net/w/o/woodwork.enteract/www.woodworkingtools.com/Compare/pc_dust.html

http://lumberjocks.com/wdkits1/blog/8004 (type of chip seperator)

http://www.woodcentral.com/articles/mag_cyclone/index.shtml (simple cyclone collector even uses by dust collector)

http://www.charlesandhudson.com/archives/2009/11/build_it_yourself_cyclone_dust_collector.htm (This looks prity easy to construct)

Would like to set it up so when a machine is turned on it will turn on a dust collector is that possible? Im sick of cleaning all the time and breathing all that fine dust. Man kids make poor slave work force they just miss all kids of dust.

Would like to set it up so when a machine is turned on it will turn on a dust collector is that possible?

Most people just set up the DC with a remote control - that's pretty easy. If all your tools are 110V and you only use one at a time, you can get buy a power strip with master and slave outlets, so when you turn on the tool the power strip detects the current in the master outlet and turns on the slave outlet with the DC.

There was a company a while back that that sold vibration detectors; when you turned on a tool the sensor on the tool detected the vibration and turned on the DC and opened the blast gate, When you turned off the tool the system waited a bit to clear out the pipe, then turned off the DC and closed the blast gate. That was a really pricey system, intended for businesses and "millionaire" hobbyists.

I just carry around a remote, but I'll admit I've finished a cut and said, "Hmmm, dust collection isn't working very well," and then realized that I forgot to turn the DC on. With my "Workmate" hearing protection on and my tunes going, it's not obvious if the DC is one or not.

Most people just set up the DC with a remote control - that's pretty easy. If all your tools are 110V and you only use one at a time, you can get buy a power strip with master and slave outlets, so when you turn on the tool the power strip detects the current in the master outlet and turns on the slave outlet with the DC.

There was a company a while back that that sold vibration detectors; when you turned on a tool the sensor on the tool detected the vibration and turned on the DC and opened the blast gate, When you turned off the tool the system waited a bit to clear out the pipe, then turned off the DC and closed the blast gate. That was a really pricey system, intended for businesses and "millionaire" hobbyists.

I just carry around a remote, but I'll admit I've finished a cut and said, "Hmmm, dust collection isn't working very well," and then realized that I forgot to turn the DC on. With my "Workmate" hearing protection on and my tunes going, it's not obvious if the DC is one or not.

This is in classroom so i can have two virtical sanders going and then a miter saw every few min

Just watch your total current. You don't want to blow any circuits. Is there any way you can put the DC outside? Then just run it almost full-time.

No i would not trust the kids in the area not to destroy it i teach at a school for troubled teens. Would not have to wory about blowing circits just got to reset the power strip.

i talked to a a whole bunch of people on how i can wire up the shop so that when a machine is on it turns dust collector on. and this old man who pushes a broom at mcdonalds over heard me talking and said " son you're a idiot and your trying to make a easy job hard". He said just put a master switch on line so that it sends power to all the outlets and make it so that the kids cant turn the dust collector off without turning off the master switch. the best part is when i get a kid who is draging his feet and wont get out when class is over then i can just hit the switch and turn off all the tools he is working with. i guess this guy invented some kind of attachment that cuts the power wasted when the machine is standing idol and his busness partner took the idea and now is rich.

Make sure all machines have the safety switches that automatically goes to "off" when the power disappears!

ooo good point i think the major problem will be kids not turning off the master switch. but if they turn off master switch and not the machines then there could be a saftey risk.