General Purpos Bandsaw Blade

doorslammer

I expect I'm not alone in saying that I don't like to change band-saw blades. I can understand why some people will have two different machines setup for different purposes. That being said I'm almost always using a 3/8" Timberwolf blade for everyday use including ripping rough stock, cutting curves, and some light re-sawing. I was curious if anyone else also avoids changing blades and what their Swiss army knife of choice was. I'm thinking of changing to a 1/2" Wood Slicer since I do a fair amount of on the fly re-sawing and this should also produce smoother cuts generally, but I'm concerned about the increase in blade width and how much it will effect tighter curved work.

Being lazy, I used the Grizzly blade that came with my 14" bandsaw for several years (I'm just a recreational woodworker) and never changed it, even though I had a 1/2" WoodSlicer blade as a spare. After cutting some curves on 8/4 Hard Maple, I switched to the WoodSlicer, and it is lightyears better. It does OK on the curves, but I use a scroll saw for really tight stuff.

I have a General 14" band saw. I change the blades when I need to. Re sawing I use a 3/4" for tighter curves I go down to a 1/4" for every day stuff I use a 1/2" or 3/8" Changing the blades out is a 5 minute thing most times. When I set up for heavier re sawing it can take me a good fifteen minutes or more. That is when I want it tuned just right.

I hate to not answer your question, but I change my blades now. I used to make cuts with "the wrong blade" on the bandsaw because I could. But then after changing it several times, I found that I get much better performance and results from my saw and workpiece when I use the blade that is appropriate for what I'm doing.

Tim

That being said I'm almost always using a 3/8" Timberwolf blade for everyday use including ripping rough stock, cutting curves, and some light re-sawing.

I have a 1/2" 3 TPI Timberwolf blade that I use for all of the above, including real resawing. The only time I take it off my bandsaw is when I need to cut a curve tighter than what a 1/2" blade will allow.