To buy or not to buy PM 60 jointer

Bunnyblaster

Came across a guy looking to sell a Powermatic Model 60 8 in jointer. From pics it looks like its in fair condition for its age. When i asked if it needed parts, here's what he told me.

"I have all the parts except the bolt that holds the fence on the mount. Easy to make one just like the original. You would need a few standard bolts and a belt. I have the gibs for the knifes."

Anyone know what bolt he's talking about that holds the fence to the mount? Would it really be easy to get?

He's wanting $550 for it. Its tempting for a good 8" jointer, but I'm kinda wondering how much work its going to be.....and its about a 2.5 hr drive.... Time, parts, and frustration taken into account, I almost wonder if a guy shouldn't just order a Griz shipped to his door.

I've never owned a jointer before, so any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Aaron

for a 2.5 hour drive, I think that it would have to be in pretty good shape. Is that round trip or is it one way? If it has been taken apart like it sound like it has, there is no telling how much needs to be done. I would have him take a bunch of pics and send them to ya if he can. If not, there might just be another one around the corner. As for the Griz, I would recommend it. I am on my second Griz jointer. My first was a 6" w/sprial head, and my current one is a 12" w/spiral head. I, so far, have had great experiences with both.

Thats 2.5 one way. I live in the middle of no where, so thats kind of normal....but still a lot of time and gas. Heres the pics he had on craigslist.

Someone else got ahold of me the other day with a Delta 6" with the Byrd head on it. He was wanting $550 too. I was really wanting an 8 though.....mainly because I'd just rather not upgrade for a while.

post-3173-0-93164000-1309964461_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-49149100-1309964474_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-02361700-1309964484_thumb.jp

post-3173-0-21970800-1309964493_thumb.jp

Thats 2.5 one way. I live in the middle of no where, so thats kind of normal....but still a lot of time and gas. Heres the pics he had on craigslist.

Someone else got ahold of me the other day with a Delta 6" with the Byrd head on it. He was wanting $550 too. I was really wanting an 8 though.....mainly because I'd just rather not upgrade for a while.

I'd want him to tell me that it's put together and running and I can send a test board through it when I arrive. Otherwise, there could be missing parts, broken parts, etc. He might not even realize that there are parts missing.

I'm nervous that he says that he has the gib screws. Why aren't the gib screws in the head? Even if he removed the blades to sharpen or clean them, or just to store them where they wouldn't rust, the gib screws should still be in the head.

I agree on the pass on this one. Others will come your way. Test drive is important and this is in pieces the motor in the pic is not in the machine is it the right one or is it from a maytag? For the same price you might get a good deal on a new one if you get a sale (they happen)looking at the in-feed and out-feed it looks like it was road hard and put away wet a few times. If there is a need to rebuild this could you or would you want to do it and if that is the case 550 is too much for it I figure.