Toning a finish with dye

alindsey

I'm finishing a guitar body, made of alder. I've dyed it with Transtint in water and am pretty happy with the results however I would like to add some depth and even the color out a bit more by adding dye to the topcoats, or at least a layer or two.

I'm spraying General Finishes pre-cat Urethane. First the sanding sealer, then the urethane itself.

So which would you add the dye to: the sanding sealer? The urethane itself? Both, just for funsies?

Yes to both, however, better to tone the topcoat. If you tone the sealer and you get to aggressive on the sanding you'll sand off your color, after all its "sanding sealer." I would stick with General Finishes products all the way through. So tone with their water-based dyes to ensure compatibility. That's what I would do! ;)

-Ace-

I've actually toned an intermediate layer before. I applied a layer of shellac over the stain coat, then applied the tone coat, applied another layer of shellac and the vinyl sealer then top coat. This was with a lacquer top coat instead of the urethane. I think you'd be fine with what Ace said. Apply the tone to the top coat. I really like the color depth that is achieved with tone coats.

Tim

edit: make sure you do test panels first.....