Earlex HV550 Pro

Jerry_in_SD

I got an email from Highland Woodworking and they have an Earlex HV550 Pro on sale for $270. Seems like a good deal. I have been considering adding spraying into my finishing capabilities - especially after completing the finishing on a vary large built-in desktop. I cannot spray lacquer, shellac, etc. as I don't have spray booth capabilities but I hear that water based or water born finishes do OK nowadays. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this model and if this is a good price. Seems to be good based on google searches.

I got an email from Highland Woodworking and they have an Earlex HV550 Pro on sale for $270. Seems like a good deal. I have been considering adding spraying into my finishing capabilities - especially after completing the finishing on a vary large built-in desktop. I cannot spray lacquer, shellac, etc. as I don't have spray booth capabilities but I hear that water based or water born finishes do OK nowadays. I was wondering if anyone has experience with this model and if this is a good price. Seems to be good based on google searches.

We have a few of the HV5500 units here that we use as part of our classes on finishing and spray finishing - They're a pretty good value, and work well to lay down a nice finish. Plus, if you're just getting into spraying, a bleeder type turbine system (like the HV5500) will really help, because you won't have to consider air pressure or volume while making adjustments, as it's constant.

It comes with a 2.0 mm tip, which is larger than I usually like, but even so, it does a good job of laying down Minwax Polycrylic, and Hood's resisthane pre-cat laquer. And additional tips are priced resonably, at around $40. Most of the tips for our other brands of HVLP guns are at the $100+ price point.

Hope this helps,

Gregory

I guess the new 5500 is different then the 5000. When I bought the 5000 it came with a 2.0 and a 1.5 needle. Still haven't used the 1.5 needle yet. I can get a pretty good atomizatoin of material with the 2.0. As far as the system goes you can't beat the price for the value of the finish and ease of use. I say BUY!!!!