Pore filling with Finish on stained wood

Everett

Hey All,

I have a lot of Ash that i was going to start building a bedroom set (excited to finally do some mortise and tenon).

I was going to stain the Ash (i didn't want it quite as light colored as natural Ash).

Should I be fine with the slurry method of pore filling if I put on about 2 coats of varnish and let it dry first? I'd rather not use a pore filler if possible.

Thanks,

Ev

I have worked only a little of the ash woods. Not calming to be an expert. As I remember, is it that grainy of a wood? Perhaps 3 to 4 coats of a good topcoat over your stain would be enough or are you looking to accent the pores with a colored grain filler?

Maybe, get a board and work out your finishing schedule, this helps to answer any, what if's ;)

-Ace-

I wouldnt be too afraid of using pore filler. I recently used some on a red oak top for a media cabinet that I recently made. You cant even tell that it is in there. I used Timbermate woodfiller. They make it in different colors that can match. They have a color that will go with maple/ash/beech/pine. Marc uses the stuff. It is super easy to work with. It is water based and it cleans up easily. I would think about it.

One more thing.. if you are going to stain this, make sure that you fill the pores first. Also, make sure that you do atest piece first, that way you arent going to end up disappointed with the results. Nothing like ruining a perfect project at the end..

I am not sure about the Behlens. I have not used it before. The nice thing about the Timbermate stuff is that it is water based. If it dries up, just add a little water. I dont see why you couldnt dye it, but I would try it just as a filler and then stain like you would a normal project before I tried to mix dye with it. ANd if you were gonna stain, I might recommend and oil based stain, again test before finish. A water based stain is going to get the filler wet again, and can pull some of the filler out. This may happen with the oil based as well, so just be careful the how much you wipe the stain after filling..