So there was this Shop Cabinet thread

Rick LoDico

And all I had was a Harbor Freight tool cabinet (which I'd highly recommend). Sooo...I had to make one. Actually, I started this cabinet 4 years ago and had the parts still lying around. They even got moved from the last house, into storage and on to the new place. I also wanted to practice with the PC 4212 dovetail jig and liked the way they came out.

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_0154.jpg

Keep in mind that this was never meant to be fine WW. It was meant to be a cabinet for the shop. The dovetails turned out to be the best part of it all. One of the problems was that I made the carcass and drawer parts 4-5 years ago and now I had no idea what the plan was. Starting over, I would have cut some drawer grooves in the sides of the cabinet BEFORE gluing it up. Not wanting to spend money on slides I had to get inventive. In the end I just nailed on some runners that ride on runners nailed to the sides of the cabinet.

The jig sells for around 150.00 and is well worth it IMO. On the front left and wrapping up and over the top there's that piece of black metal which guides where the workpieces go.

IMG_0158.jpg

The 1/2" thick side goes up against this guide and up to the aluminum template above.

IMG_0159.jpg

The 3/4" drawer front goes up against the guide, under the template and against the drawer side.

IMG_0160.jpg

The front and top levers lock the pieces in place.

IMG_0161.jpg

A template guide and proper 14º bit are installed in the router and the workpieces are cut in one pass. The PC 690 router is perfect for this.

IMG_0162.jpg

The results are

IMG_0163.jpg

If the sides are a bit proud, the edge sander fixes this in seconds.

IMG_0164.jpg