probably easy question

ediazf

Again, here I go with finishing questions haha.

I am doing my 4th cajon drum and now I want it to look darker so I went and bought the darkest brown I could find. I ended up buying "roble rojizo" Minwax oil based stain. Roble rojizo being Redish Oak. It feels more like dark oak than redish, but anyway, I loved it and bought it. I just couldn't find water based stain, wich is what I see most people use and now, before using it, I wanted to be sure if the oil content on the stain would be a problem with the top coat? I am using really good quality poly varnish.

Thanks again, sory for language mistakes ?:^)

hey, I followed your advice and everything worked out great. Well, not everything haha. I don't know if my brush was just too crappy, or my technique but the finish is really uneven and brush marks are all over. the finish itself is really shiny so it doesn't look as nice as my other cajon. I was thinking if I could sand everything to a nice and even level and then put a couple of 50/50 varnish and mineral spirits with marc method of wipe on? I think the wipe on method will give me a more even or flatter finish.

so, is that posible? 50/50 varnish over sanded varnish? I just finished applying my final coat today, so the varnish isn't even close to cure, so that shouldn't be a problem...