Router bit question - combination flush trim and pattern bit

Woodscreamer

I'm looking for a flush trim bit and found this combo bit, anyone has experience with similar bits? I'm not usually a big fan of "combo" stuff and prefer uni-taskers but since I don't have a pattern bit I thought this make sense:

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/bt_flush.html

I'm a hobbyist at the moment and starting to get back in to woodworking thanks to TWW!

Thanks!

If you are talking about the flush trim bits with the top and bottom bearing I have a few in my shop made by Freud and they work really well. The only thing to think about is the height of the bit vs. the height of the work piece. Over all they are a really convenient router bit. As far as MLCS goes I do not have any of experience with that exact router bit but I do have several MLCS router bits and though they do not get a lot of use they seem to be decent. Welcome back to woodworking!

I use that bit when I template route a curved part. The two bearings allow me to flip the work (and attached template) so I am always cutting with the grain and avoiding tearout. I have a shorter version of this bit for thin work (up to 1") and this bit when I go to thicker stock.

I haven't used the multiple bearings for trimming yet but it seems like a nice feature.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got back from traveling and found the bit waiting for me at the door. The bit feels solid and looks good. I didn't try it yet. After looking at I realized that since there is a bearing at the bottom of the bit I can only use it as a flush trim bit and can't use it to plow dados for example using a jig. It looks like I need to get a pattern bit after all. I plan on keeping this bit however because it came with different bearings that let me trim 1/16", 1/8" or 3/16" from an edge which is handy in some cases. I hope this helps!

I don't have one of these bits but it is on the list for the reasons dcustoms already stated. I do commonly use both the top and bottom mounted bits for pattern/flush cutting processes and would be lost without them. As far as bits from MLCS, I have a few and their bits are OK bits but I much prefer other brands like Freud, CMT, Rockler, and Eagle America. As a side note if you are a member of the guild you can enjoy a discount from the last two on my list. Please keep us posted on how much you like your new bit!

Nate